October 18, 2008

Baking Day.


I am not a very good cook. In fact, I do not enjoy cooking. I do not know exactly why. I have throughout my life lived mostly on my own and never found it interesting to cook meals for myself. And during those times that I have not been on my own, I have been lucky enough to be surrounded by excellent cooks that prepared great meals for me and enjoyed doing so. In fact, my current room mate makes sure my freezer is stocked to the bursting point with containers of wonderful meals that he makes for me on his visits. I am truly lucky that way.

But, with that said, I do LOVE to bake. It is so much more rewarding, I feel. The scent of freshly baked bread or pastry is heavenly and so much nicer than the heavy odor of cooking (that I never seem to be able to get rid off in my house). There is no stress in baking; in fact I find it very relaxing and soothing. When time permits, I bake bread and pies, muffins (cupcakes) and pastry. Cupcakes are so easy, as they are quick to prepare and can be varied in so many ways and can easily be frozen.
Today I baked apple/cinnamon cupcakes (that fit so well the autumn season) and bread roles. It was a perfect day to be inside, as the weather was cold and rainy and it became a baking day, instead of a gardening day.

7 comments:

Diane said...

I don't cook well or enjoy it either. I'm not a baker (unless you count the cookies you cut off that roll encased in plastic... I can bake the hell out of those!). I do, however, love to eat baked goods... so we will still make really good friends... as long as you don't mind doing all the baking and me doing all the eating. I'll buy the wine. And we can eat out a lot when I visit.

PS... are all your roommate's brothers married? Wait, before I ask that, do they cook as well as he does? THEN are they all married? Oh, and do they look like him, 'cause that's sort of big, too ;)

Kidding. There's always McDonalds ;). Are the photos taken in your house? Lovely!

Zuzana said...

LOL Diane! This is a very funny comment, I am still laughing!
Yes, I know those ready to go roles in plastic, I admit to using those as well at times.:P
Yes, these pictures are taken yesterday in my house, of my baking results. I will be more than happy to bake for you, and you bringing the wine sounds great.;)

As for my room mate and his brothers, you lucked out, he has a twin brother and another set of twin brothers.;) Only one is married and all can cook, and being twins they all look great (but I tend to think he is the best looking one).;)

Diane said...

Oh, good LORD! A TWIN?! I think I'm in heaven! I just stopped caring about the cooking part (I was really all about the looks but I didn't want to sound shallow ;). You have my address, right? And my email... and my blog URS... oh, let me get you my phone number... pass them all on ;)

PS... you do know I'm kidding about being all about the looks, right? :)

Diane said...

I was supposed to be 'blog URL'... I don't know what the hell a URS is... United Retard Service? Yeah, that suits... sigh.

Zuzana said...

Diane, your phone number, emial, URL (or URS:P) are all being forwarded as we speak!;););)

Hilary said...

Oh that looks scrumptious.. and your home looks beautiful. Great photos. Now I'm hungry...

Zuzana said...

Thank you for your compliments Hilary and for stopping by.:)